March 13, 2017
NOTE: These minutes are also available online at www.lmeaonline.org.
President C. Santa Maria called the meeting to order at 4:00pm
Vic Fedeli made a motion to approve the minutes from February—sec by Darlene Mandarino Motion—passed.
- If there is a weather related cancellation of school will constitute make up day for Professional staff on Tues, 6/20/ - Details will come later. If school is closed a second day, staff & students will be required to make up the day, which would be 6/21 – more details later if makeup is necessary.
- Staff needs to be mindful when scheduling trips in June-if you booked a trip before 3/13/17. You will be considered-if after 3/13, you can apply for consideration of day without pay.
- Support Staff will makeup days that students have to make up.
- Online Instruction for Secondary Summer School-several meetings have taken place with the district.-Discussion was had as to why the district is in favor of online Summer School classes. MCIU program called MVP. LMEA contains language in which specifically creates a path for online instruction. There was no advance notification & the brochure was published & advertised. District should honor what they bargained (Letter E in contract) in 2010. Summer school would be cataloged by summer school teachers.
- Ed Camp- Feb 16 Ed camp-Chris surveyed the presenters. 103 responses were collected. Data is in Presidents report – see noted percentages as listed. LMEA would propose that everyone be paid for 1 hour. See info & data in AppleCore.
- Chris Santa Maria met with Mark Klein regarding questions about the Field Trip Committee's process. Aimee Avellino has been invited to attend the next FT committee meeting.
- How to find contract online
- Online coursework
- Retiree Dinner
- Bargaining year/Achievements
- Betsy DeVos
- See Victors Report – Vic will be attending the Mideast Division meeting.
- NEA Election – thanks to everyone for helping to get Debbie Williams elected as a NEA State Delegate.
1st Vice President: NR
Secretary Support: NR
Secretary Professional: NR
Treasurer: D. Mandarino submitted a treasurer's report for February—passed.
Outreach: Joe Mudd reported that Outreach has been advertising in several district events i.e. Mr Harriton & Mr. Lower Merion contests Outreach is happy to promote what LMEA does for students in the district. Please contact Joe if there is an event the LMEA can consider supporting.
Constitution: In the packet is a follow up to the same review at the January Ex Council meeting.
Policies & Practices to be reviewed-Ex Council voted to remove #1 &2 in January-we are visiting & updated the language-see report as specified.
- #1 &2 vote as noted changes
- #3-11 have been reviewed with no changes
- Motion to remove language
- Motion to amend #2-see strike through to amend with new language
- There is no hold placed-Motion to approve-Mike Stettner. 2nd Aimee Avellino-Motion passed
CIPD: Meeting date changes to March 21st
CNC: Next meeting date is April 6th
Health & Safety: NR
Legislation: State legislature is reconvening today-possible 14 items to address-1 is student related-the remainder are pension & dues deduction related issues.
Minority Affairs: Conference is this week in Reading
PACE: Pace deductions are over-Please contact Mike Stettner if there are any issues/questions.
PR & R: P. Dawson submitted a written report and discussed some of the ongoing grievances.
- Please notify Lisa McDevitt at Cynwyd – with the names of any retiring in your building. June 1st is date of LMEA retiree dinner.
- Special note: Chris Santa Maria was notified that retiree-Dr. Herman Giersch passed away at the age of 103. The LMHS Auditorium is name after him- Music teacher at Lower Merion.
Sunshine: Please contact Debbie Williams as the need arises at email@example.com.
Membership: D. Grumbine submitted a written report.
Education Foundation: NP
SECC: At our last meeting on March 6, we finalized a form and procedure for employees to use in accessing their rights under Article 13 in the CBA ("Attacks"). Should an employee be injured by a student while working, please fill out this form, which is located in the nurse's office or on the website, and send copies to Kimberly Fraser AND Eric Demkin, and keep the original.
Belmont Hills: Prof: NR
Cynwyd: Prof: NR
Gladwyne: Prof: NP
Merion: Prof: NR
ESP: Questions regarding procedure for securing a job has changed – may have to apply for positions again-Chris SM will check with H.R-Mark Klein Question regarding STEM meeting- If MCIU is open does staff still have to attend if LMSD is closed? Elementary recess – is that impacting teaching period?
Penn Valley: Prof: NR
Penn Wynne: Prof: NR
Bala Cynwyd: Prof: NR
Welsh Valley: Prof: Question asked about the schedule alignment between the two middle schools.
Lower Merion: Prof: NR
Harriton: Prof: NR
Minority At-Large Reps: NR
Outreach Can LMEA Outreach consider supporting 5th grade classes to help defray cost of activities – by contributions to fundraising –info will be forwarded to Joe Mudd for consideration.